Subdivision Approval Authority Preliminary Plat (Towns)
WHEN: An applicant creating a number of lots defined as a subdivision in the local and/or Waukesha County Shoreland and Floodland Subdivision Control Ordinance.
WHY: The local and/or Waukesha County Shoreland and Floodland Subdivision Control Ordinance requires the filing of a Preliminary Plat in accordance with Section 236 of the Wisconsin State Statutes. Additional requirements for subdivision plats are contained in Article VIII - Chapter 14 of the Waukesha County Code of Ordinances, entitled Storm Water Management and Erosion Control.
WHO: The staff of the Waukesha County Department of Parks and Land Use - Planning and Zoning Division is responsible for subdivision review. See Staff Who Can Help or contact the Planning and Zoning Division, Planner of the Day.
HOW: A PRELIMINARY PLAT SUBMITTAL SHALL CONSIST OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Applicant submits 4 full size copies and an electronic copy of the Preliminary Plat.
- A soil test for every lot, or if the lots are to be served by sewer, a letter from the Town Clerk certifying sewer is available AND documentation from the Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission (SEWRPC) that comments on the sewer extension serving the development.
- A soil test for every lot, or a letter from the Town Clerk certifying sewer is available.
- A completed Waukesha County Department of Parks and Land Use Subdivision Plat Submittal Form.
- A “Preliminary Storm Water Review Letter” from the Land Resources Division, in accordance with the Waukesha County Storm Water Management and Erosion Control Ordinance.
- Review of the Land Division Checklist.
- See Department of Parks and Land Use – Planning and Zoning Division Fee Schedule
VARIANCE OR APPEAL
- An appeal of a decision of the staff of the Planning and Zoning Division must be made to the Waukesha County Park and Planning Commission within thirty (30) days of the staff’s decision. Staff of the Planning and Zoning Division will assist you with the appeal process.
- In accordance with Section 236 of the Wisconsin State Statutes, the County has ninety (90) days from date of submittal to review the Preliminary Plat.
- Waukesha County acts as the forwarding agency to all applicalbe reviewing agencies, including the Department of Adminstration (DOA), the town, any extra-territorial review entity, the Waukesha County Land Resources Division, Environmental Health Division and the Department of Public Works, and all utilities. This is to ensure all entities are reviewing the same version of the plat. It is the responsibility of the developer or surveyor to submit to all required agencies separately, including the Department of Administration. The county will not grant Preliminary Plat approval without approval from the DOA.
- The County and Town, which are approval agencies, may not take formal action on a Preliminary Plat until all objecting agencies have certified no objection.
- Developers are encouraged to submit Conceptual Subdivision Plats to the Development Review Team for review and comment early in the subdivision planning process.
- A Preliminary Review by the Waukesha County Department of Public Works, if the property abuts a County Trunk Highway See Staff Who Can Help.
- A Prelminary Plat cannot be approved without obtaining a Preliminary Storm Water Review Letter from the Land Resources Division that recommends plat approval See Staff Who Can Help.