Waukesha County

Access to County Trunk Highway - Private Residential Driveway Permit


WHEN: Constructing a new residential driveway or modifying an existing residential driveway to a County Trunk Highway.

WHY: The purpose is to promote the orderly and safe movement of vehicles in and out of private properties with minimum interference to through highway traffic, and to control the use of drainage structures, which may be necessary to preserve the physical structure of the highway. The standards for permitting access are contained in the Waukesha County Code, Chapter 15 – Roads and Bridges, available online and in the office of the Waukesha County Clerk.

WHO: The Waukesha County Public Works Department issues access permits. See Staff Who Can Help.

HOW: Applicant must submit a complete application and permit fee to the Waukesha County Public Works Department.


  • Driveway Access Permit Application Form
  • Name, address and phone number of the applicant
  • Address of driveway, if different
  • Location of the driveway (highway, side of road, municipality, and description of location using local landmarks)
  • Type of driveway requested (single family or farm,)
  • Width of the frontage on the County Trunk Highway and the width of the driveway requested
  • A copy of a Plat or Certified Survey Map and site drawing
  • Applicant must stake the location of the driveway in the field


  • See Public Works Department Fee Schedule


  • Any applicant denied for a permit is entitled to pursue an appeal pursuant to the Waukesha County Code, Chapter 15, Section 57, by contacting the Public Works Department.


  • The review of the application by the Waukesha County Public Works Department staff is normally completed within ten working days of receiving the application.


  • A Conditional Use Permit from the Department of Parks and Land Use – Planning and Zoning Division or a Storm Water Permit from the Department of Parks and Land Use – Land Resources Division may be necessary for grading activities within 1,000 feet of a lake or 300 feet of a river or stream in any unincorporated area, and in Townships under County Zoning Jurisdiction. See Staff Who Can Help.
  • The construction or alteration of a driveway may also be subject to local zoning codes. Contact the Waukesha County Department of Parks and Land Use – Planning and Zoning Division or your Town. See Staff Who Can Help or Coordinating Agencies.
  • Applicants should always contact Diggers Hotline at 1-800-242-8511 prior to any construction activity.

Business Hours: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm Monday - Friday (excluding holidays)
515 W. Moreland Blvd., Waukesha, WI 53188

Room AC 170 - (262) 896-8270 - Land Information System
Room AC 230 - (262) 548-7790 - Park System, Planning and Zoning
Room AC 260 - (262) 896-8300 - Environmental Health, Land Conservation and Recycling
Room AC 320 - (262) 548-7920 - Community Development

If you have questions, please email Department of Parks & Land Use or call the numbers listed above.

Connect with us! Facebook Linkedin Twitter YouTube Connect with us on Nextdoor