Waukesha County

Utilities Within A County Trunk Highway Permit To Construct, Maintain or Repair Utilities


WHEN: Constructing, altering or connecting to a public utility within the right of way of a County Trunk Highway.

WHY: The purpose is to promote the orderly location and safe construction of public utilities and to insure the necessary repair to the structure of the highway. The authority to require and issue permits is contained under Chapter 86 - Wisconsin State Statutes.

WHO: The Waukesha County Public Works Department issues utility permits. See Staff Who Can Help.

HOW: Complete and submit an application and three (3) copies of plans, including a proposed site plan, construction schedule and erosion control plan, to the Waukesha County Public Works Department.


  • See the Waukesha County Department of Public Works Fee Schedule


  • Any applicant denied for a permit is entitled to pursue an appeal pursuant to the Waukesha County Code, Chapter 15, Section 57, by contacting the Department of Public Works.


  • The review of the application and/or plans by the Department of Public Works staff is normally completed within ten (10) working days of receiving the application. The plans may be returned to the owner for revision.


  • It is recommended that a presubmittal conference be held with the applicant, their engineers, and the Department of Public Works engineering staff. The conference will provide a preliminary review of the proposed work before submittal of an application. See Staff Who Can Help.
  • Erosion control and site stabilization plans are required for all projects. If the project will disturb more than 300 lineal feet of land, a Storm Water Permit from the Department of Parks and Land Use – Land Resources Division is also required before a Utility Permit will be issued. Contact the Land Resources Division for assistance. See Staff Who Can Help.
  • Applicants should always contact Diggers Hotline at 1-800-242-8511 before any construction activity.

Business Hours: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm Monday - Friday (excluding holidays)
515 W. Moreland Blvd., Waukesha, WI 53188

Room AC 170 - (262) 896-8270 - Land Information System
Room AC 230 - (262) 548-7790 - Park System, Planning and Zoning
Room AC 260 - (262) 896-8300 - Environmental Health, Land Conservation and Recycling
Room AC 320 - (262) 548-7920 - Community Development

If you have questions, please email Department of Parks & Land Use or call the numbers listed above.

Connect with us! Facebook Linkedin Twitter YouTube Connect with us on Nextdoor