Subdivision Approval Authority Final Plat (Towns)
WHEN: Following Preliminary Plat approval, an applicant is creating a number of lots defined as a subdivision in the local and/or Waukesha County Shoreland and Floodland Subdivision Control Ordinance.
WHY: The local and/or Waukesha County Shoreland and Floodland Subdivision Control Ordinance requires the filing of a Final Plat in accordance with Section 236 of the Wisconsin State Statutes. Additional requirements for subdivision plats are contained in Article VIII - Chapter 14 of the Waukesha County Code of Ordinances, entitled Storm Water Management and Erosion Control.
WHO: The staff of the Waukesha County Department of Parks and Land Use - Planning and Zoning Division is responsible for subdivision review. See Staff Who Can Help or contact the Planning and Zoning Division, Planner of the Day.
HOW: A FINAL PLAT SUBMITTAL SHALL CONSIST OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Applicant submits 4 full size copies and an electronic copy of the Final Plat.
- A completed Waukesha County Department of Parks and Land Use Planning and Zoning Division Subdivision Plat Submittal Form.
- Documentation of any Primary Environmental Corridors or wetland delineations and concurrence by the Department of Natural Resources or the Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission.
- “Certification of Compliance” from the Land Resources Division, in accordance with the Waukesha County Storm Water Management and Erosion Control Ordinance.
- Review of the Land Division Checklist.
- See Department of Parks and Land Use – Planning and Zoning Division Fee Schedule
VARIANCE OR APPEAL
- An appeal of a decision of the staff of the Planning and Zoning Division must be made to the Waukesha County Park and Planning Commission within thirty (30) days of the staff’s decision. Staff of the Planning and Zoning Division will assist you with the appeal process.
- In accordance with Section 236 of the Wisconsin State Statutes, the County has sixty (60) days from date of submittal to take action on a Final Plat.
- The County, Town and any extra-territorial City or Village are approving authorities and cannot take formal action on a Final Plat until such time as there is a certification of no objection from all objecting agencies.
- The Final Plat must be recorded in the Waukesha County Register of Deeds Office in accordance with Section 236 of the Wis. State Statutes.
- Waukesha County acts as the forwarding agency to all applicable reviewing agencies including the Department of Administration (DOA), the town, any extra-territorial review entity, the Waukesha County Land Resources Division, Environmental Health Division and the Department of Public Works, and all utilities. This is to ensure all entities are reviewing the same version of the plat. It is the responsibility of the developer or surveyor to submit to all required agencies separately, including the Department of Administration. The county will not grant Final Plat approval without approval from the DOA.
- Storm Water “Certification of Compliance” from the Waukesha County Land Resources Division ensures that the necessary maintenance agreements, drainage and access easements and other applicable platting issues meet County Code requirements. A final plat cannot be approved without this “certification” See Staff Who Can Help .