Waukesha County

Marriage License Application Process


Marriage licenses are issued by appointment only
Monday - Thursday 8:30 a.m.- 3:30 p.m.
Friday (Summer Schedule) 7:45 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
In addition we will have extended hours on:

Tuesday, July 23rd:  3:30 - 5:30 p.m.

Tuesday, August 27th:  3:30 - 5:30 p.m.

Tuesday, September 24th:  3:30 - 5:30 p.m.

** Appointments are required **
 If you would like to schedule an appointment or have questions about the application process please call the County Clerk's office at (262) 548-7010 or click the link below to email us:
You may apply for your marriage license up to two months prior to your ceremony.  Consider booking your appointment in advance as our late afternoon and Friday appointments fill quickly.  Both applicants must appear together and in-person. Please allow for 30 minutes to complete the application process. Free parking is available. Please note that due to a Courthouse Construction project, parking in front of the building is limited.  Please consider parking in the parking lot on the north side of Moreland Blvd, across from the Courthouse.

Please note an application cannot be started until a wedding date has been scheduled and the officiant is secured.  Please read the information below for application procedures.  
Información Licencia de Matrimonio - haga clic aquí para obtener más información  o email aquí 

Both Wisconsin residents and out of State residents may apply at any County Clerk's office in the state of Wisconsin.  Marriage Licenses are then valid anywhere in the State of Wisconsin.


It is advisable that you apply for your license two to three weeks before your wedding day and not more than two months prior to the ceremony. Appointments are necessary. Once the marriage license is issued it is valid for 60 days in the State of Wisconsin. There is a three day waiting period before newly issued marriage license can be used. In cases with extenuating circumstances you may petition the County Clerk for a waiver of the three (3) day waiting period, the waiver fee is $25.00. Contact the County Clerk’s office for more information.


Applicants must make their own arrangements in securing an officiant for their ceremony prior to application.  The name, title, mailing address and phone number of the person performing the ceremony is required when applying.  A list of Waukesha County Judges and Court Commissioners who may be available to perform ceremonies can be found here.


Date and location of ceremony (name of Wisconsin County as well as the township, village or city where the ceremony will take place) must be provided at the time of application.


The marriage license fee is $110.00 payable at the time of application; cash, debit or credit cards are accepted.  In cases with extenuating circumstances you may petition the County Clerk for a waiver of the three (3) day waiting period, the waiver fee is $25.00. Contact the County Clerk’s office for more information.


Both applicants must present some form of identification and a document verifying their current address.  The easiest way to prove your identification and address is with a current, non-expired Driver's license or State ID.  Other acceptable forms of ID include a passport.  Utility bills, mortgage statements, lease agreements are examples of documents that may be used to verify current address. 


Both applicants must present their birth certificates (hospital certificates with footprints or birth registration forms are not acceptable). Certified birth certificates have a statement stating that they are true and correct copies of the birth certificate and have an official seal (this seal could be an embossed seal or a colored seal) obtained from the Register of Deeds' office. Birth certificates not in English or Spanish will require translation of the certificate to English.   If you require Spanish speaking services including document translation you must notify the clerk's office when scheduling your appointment.

PROOF OF PREVIOUS MARRIAGE DISSOLUTION - Divorce, Death or Annulment Documentation.

If you were previously married, a filed copy of the final judgment of divorce, a certified divorce certificate, legal annulment or certified death certificate that ended the last marriage must be shown at the time of application. In Wisconsin it is unlawful for any person to marry until six months after the date of the granting of a judgment of divorce, regardless of where the divorce was granted.


The minimum age to marry is 18 years of age. Applicants who are 16 or 17 years of age must have both parents' consent or the consent of their legal guardian or court-appointed custodian. Both parents, guardian or custodian of the minor(s) must be present when the application is being made and present photo I.D. to complete and sign a consent form in the County Clerk’s office at the Courthouse location.

No marriage shall be contracted between persons who are nearer of kin than second cousins, except that marriage may be contracted between first cousins where the female has attained the age of 55 years.


Spanish speaking services are available and must be requested when scheduling your appointment.  Any document not in English or Spanish must have attached to it a certified translation. Both applicants must speak and be able to read English or Spanish. If not, the applicant(s) must provide a translator. The applicants may not translate for each other.  

Both applicants must appear in person to swear, or affirm, that all of the information provided on the application is correct. 

Marriage License Application Brochure - here



  • Make an appointment with County Clerks office to apply for the license
  • Bring proof of identification: valid photo ID; i.e.: driver's license
  • Bring certified birth certificates.  If applicants were born in Wisconsin they may obtain certificates from the County's Register of Deeds' office
  • Provide proof of current address - both applicants need to provide some documentation with their current address.
  • Provide documentation of the termination of most recent marriage (if applicable) – death certificate, final divorce judgment, divorce decree, or legal annulment
  • Date of ceremony
  • Location of ceremony; township, village or city and county where the ceremony will take place
  • Officiant information; name, address, telephone number
  • Social Security number if one has been issued
  • $110.00 (cash, debit or credit) application fee.  A $25 waiver fee is assessed if application is less than 4 days before ceremony.  Waivers must be approved by the County Clerk.
  • Foreign Language – Documents in another language must have a certified English translation. Persons, who do not speak and/or understand English or Spanish, must bring an interpreter not related to the applicants.



Marriage Certificate
Your officiant has three business days from the date of the wedding to file your license with a Wisconsin Register of Deeds Office anywhere in the state. After filing, a certified copy of your marriage certificate may be obtained from any Register of Deeds in Wisconsin.



How to obtain Birth or Death Certificates:
If the birth or death occurred in Waukesha County, please contact:

Register of Deeds, Waukesha County, 262-548-7863 for more information or go to https://www.waukeshacounty.gov/ROD

If the birth/death occurred in another state, go to: www.cdc.gov/nchs

How to obtain Divorce Judgments or Annulment Judgments:
Copies of final divorce or annulment judgments are available from the county where the event occurred. To obtain judgment from Waukesha County, please contact:

Clerk of Courts, Family Court, Waukesha County Courthouse (262) 548-7544 for more information.


These regulations are governed by the laws of the State of Wisconsin. The regulations are the same statewide. The cost of a Marriage License and waiver fee may vary from County to County.


When someone is married outside of the United States it is their responsibility to obtain the proper legal paper(s) from that country.  It is important to obtain certified copies before you leave the foreign country and, if the certificate is in a foreign language, you should obtain notarized translations of the document.  The document will be your only proof of the marriage.  Wisconsin law does not provide for the filing of foreign marriage certificates. It is suggested that couples who desire to marry outside of the U.S. check with the Social Security Administration on the acceptability of specific marriage documents from their chosen country of marriage.



Below are informative links about getting a marriage license:

Who can perform a Marriage?

How do I obtain a Certified Copy of my Marriage Certificate after the wedding?

How do I change my name after my wedding ceremony?

Frequently Asked Questions

Marriage and Officiant Information provided by DHS

Connect with us! Facebook Linkedin Twitter YouTube Connect with us on Nextdoor