Waukesha County

Preliminary Site Evaluation

P.S.E Application

WHEN: A Preliminary Site Evaluation (P.S.E.) is required prior to the issuance of a zoning and/or building permit on properties served by a private sewage system. A P.S.E. is conducted when the following improvements are proposed: remodeling or a building addition, a change in use, or when an accessory structure is proposed.

WHY: A P.S.E. is required to assure the existing private sewage system is operating properly and that minimum setback distances are maintained from the improvement to the existing sewage system, pursuant to Chapter 145 – Wisconsin State Statutes, DCOMM83 - Wisconsin Administrative Code and Waukesha County Code – Chapter 14, Water and Water Quality, available online and in the office of the Waukesha County Clerk.

WHO: The Department of Parks and Land Use – Environmental Health Division performs the site evaluation. Following the evaluation, a letter recommending approval or denial of the improvement is sent to the owner, local building inspector and Waukesha County Department of Parks and Land Use – Planning and Zoning, if applicable.

HOW: Submit a complete application and fee to the Environmental Health Division.


  • Preliminary Site Evaluation Application form
  • Plans or sketch of the proposed improvement
  • Soil Test Report for Category ‘C’ Type of improvements


  • See Department of Parks and Land Use – Environmental Health Division Fee Schedule


  • P.S.E. completed applications are reviewed by Environmental Health Division and normally acted on within ten (10) working days.


  • Unless requested, P.S.E. Applications are not required for improvements that involve reroofing, painting, wiring, residing, window replacements or replacement of equipment or appliances.
  • A P.S.E. is required for a Zoning Permit and/or a Building Permit.

Business Hours: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm Monday - Friday (excluding holidays)
515 W. Moreland Blvd., Waukesha, WI 53188

Room AC 170 - (262) 896-8270 - Land Information System
Room AC 230 - (262) 548-7790 - Park System, Planning and Zoning
Room AC 260 - (262) 896-8300 - Environmental Health, Land Conservation and Recycling
Room AC 320 - (262) 548-7920 - Community Development

If you have questions, please email Department of Parks & Land Use or call the numbers listed above.

Connect with us! Facebook Linkedin Twitter YouTube Connect with us on Nextdoor