Waukesha County



WHEN: An applicant is proposing certain tree cutting and/or vegetation removal activities in the Shoreland and Floodland Jurisdictional areas (generally within 1,000 feet of a lake or 300 feet of a stream), within Primary Environmental Corridors, on lands with preservation restrictions, and on properties zoned EC Environmental Corridor District.

WHY: To prevent soil erosion, control shoreline alteration and restrict the removal of shoreline vegetation in areas covered by the Waukesha County Shoreland and Floodland Protection Ordinance – Appendix B of the Waukesha County Code, copies of which are available online and in the office of the Waukesha County Clerk.

WHO: The staff of the Waukesha County Department of Parks and Land Use – Planning and Zoning Division reviews the Zoning Permit, and if approved, mails the issued permit directly to the property owner. See Staff Who Can Help.

HOW: Applicant must submit a complete application packet and fee.


  • Application for Zoning Permit - Vegetation Removal form.
  • A cutting plan.
  • Plat of Survey or Site Plan


  • See Department of Parks and Land Use – Planning and Zoning Division fee schedule


  • An appeal of a decision of the staff of the Planning and Zoning Division must be made to the Waukesha County Board of Adjustment within twenty (20) days of the staff’s decision.


  • An applicant can anticipate the zoning permit will be issued within approximately two (2) weeks upon receipt of a complete application packet and fee by the Planning and Zoning Division.


  • A Grading, Drainage and Erosion Control Plan may be required.
  • A site inspection and evaluation by the Waukesha County Department of Parks and Land Use – Land Resources Division may be required for questions on erosion control practices and/or impact on surface water drainage. A site drainage plan and Storm Water Permit may also be required. Contact the Planning and Zoning Division and they will contact the Land Resources Division for assistance. See Staff Who Can Help.
  • An inspection of the site may be required.
  • A financial guarantee may also be required.
  • Additional permits are required for land altering activities.
  • A Deed Restriction may be required to be recorded in the Register of Deeds office.
  • A Forest Management Plan may be required.

Business Hours: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm Monday - Friday (excluding holidays)
515 W. Moreland Blvd., Waukesha, WI 53188

Room AC 170 - (262) 896-8270 - Land Information System
Room AC 230 - (262) 548-7790 - Park System, Planning and Zoning
Room AC 260 - (262) 896-8300 - Environmental Health, Land Conservation and Recycling
Room AC 320 - (262) 548-7920 - Community Development

If you have questions, please email Department of Parks & Land Use or call the numbers listed above.

Connect with us! Facebook Linkedin Twitter YouTube Connect with us on Nextdoor