Waukesha County

Name Change

Name Change applications are handled as Large Claims matters in the Civil Court and are filed in Room C-167 of the Civil Division of the Waukesha County Courthouse. General information about this subject area is contained in Wisconsin Statutes §786.36 and §786.37 and can be found in the Legal Research section of this site.

Below you will find the Basic Steps for Handling a Name Change, and all the forms you will need to get from the beginning to the end of the name change process. You will have the option to:

Print the forms in PDF and complete them using black ink or
Complete the Word Fillable forms on-line
Keep in mind that not all forms are due at the same time. Please refer to the Basic Steps (we recommend that you print it and keep it with your papers) to determine in what order to complete each form and other tasks required.

Please note the Waukesha County Civil Division requires all adults that are requesting a name change to provide the Court with a current driving record and a criminal history check.

1. Driving Record - The driving record must be ordered from the Department of Transportation. Visit the Wisconsin DMV website to view the appropriate steps to request your driving record.

2. Criminal History Record - Your request for a criminal history report must be ordered from the Department of Justice via mail by completing the DJ-LE-250. A fee will be charged for this service. The criminal history report must be sent directly to the Court from the Department of Justice, therefore you must include a pre-addressed stamped envelope contatining the address specified on the DJ-LE-250.

Immediately following your hearing with the Court, you will be directed to the Court Administration Office of the Clerk of Courts Office, Room C380 to receive the signed order, make payments, and complete your name change process.  Payments include the $30.00 recording fee payable by check only to the Waukesha County Register of Deeds.  Register of Deeds also requires a certified order at $7.50 to record the name change pursuant to Wisconsin State Statutes.  The payment and document will be forwarded to the Office of the Register of Deeds by the clerk.  If changing vital records, you will be asked to complete the State of Wisconsin Bureau of Vital Records form and payment by check only.  The base fee is $30.00 with an additional $3.00 per additional copy (optional).  The payment and document will be forwarded to Vital Records by the clerk.  You may also purchase copies of the certified name change order at $7.50 per order for your personal records.  To avoid any delay in registering your name change on the date of your hearing, it is recommended you bring at least two checks to pay these additional fees.

Hint: ONLY COMPLETE THE TASKS IN THE ORDER THEY ARE LISTED-Read ahead, but do not work ahead.

Name Change Packet




  Name Change Info Sheet for Minor Under 14
  Name Change Info Sheet for Adult or Minor 14 or Older
  Estimated Name Change Fees
CV-450 Petition for Change of Name (Adult or Minor 14 or Older)
CV-451 Petition for Confidential Name Change for Adult or Minor 14 or Older
CV-455 Petition for Change of Name - Minor child under 14
CV-456 Petition for Confidential Name Change for Minor Child Under 14
CV-460 Notice and Order for Name Change Hearing
CV-461 Notice and Order for Confidential Name Change Hearing
CV-465 Affidavit of Attempted Service on Non-Petitioning Parent
CV-480 Response of Non-Petitioning Parent to Name Change of Minor Child Under 14