What is a Dementia Care Specialist?
A Dementia Care Specialist (DCS) is someone who is employed by the ADRC to assist individuals and families living with dementia to remain as active and independent as possible in the community.
The DCS also ensures that ADRC staff are knowledgeable about dementia and prepared to meet the needs of the people they serve in a supportive, helpful manner.
Lastly, the DCS is a catalyst for launching and overseeing Dementia Friendly Communities within Waukesha County.
Learn more about Dementia Friendly Communities
Services Provided by the Dementia Care Specialist:
- Memory screens for individuals who question whether they are having cognitive changes.
- Consultations with individuals and their families to plan for their future by gathering information about dementia, what to expect, decisions to consider and community resources available.
- Business training to learn how best to serve customers who are experiencing cognitive changes.
- Education to civic groups and service organizations regarding the impact of dementia and how they can support and assist their friends and neighbors.
- Education to healthcare providers regarding person centered care strategies and how best to support those living with dementia.
Who should contact the Dementia Care Specialist?
The Dementia Care Specialist can assist:
- Anyone who is experiencing changes in their memory, thinking or communication abilities or providing support and assistance to someone who is experiencing these changes.
- Caregivers who are feeling overwhelmed by the multiple demands on their time.
- People with early memory loss changes who are interested in being proactive to remain as healthy and independent as possible.
- Volunteers who are interested in assisting people with cognitive changes.
- Businesses who realize their employees need to improve their skills for interacting and communicating with people living with dementia.
Call the ADRC at (262) 548-7848 if you are interested in speaking with the Dementia Care Specialist or learning more about Dementia Care services offered by the ADRC.
Dementia Challenging Behavior Initiative