Waukesha County



HHS Services

 Contact Us

514 Riverview Avenue,
Waukesha WI, 53188
(262) 548-7212 
Hours of Operation:
     Monday through Friday
     8:00am to 4:30pm
Bus service is available through Waukesha Metro transit.
For information outside of normal hours of operation, call IMPACT 2-1-1 by dialing: 211, or 262-547-3388  or toll free 1-866-211-3380 
Public Assistance

Our Purpose:
In partnership with the five-county Moraine Lakes Consortium, determines eligibility for assistance programs such as medical, food, and day care for Waukesha residents including children, caretakers of children, elderly, blind, and the disabled

Waukesha County Human Services Center
514 Riverview Avenue, Waukesha, WI 53188 
Public assistance programs, including FoodShare, Medical Assistance/BadgerCare, and Child Care, are administered through the Moraine Lakes Consortium consisting of Waukesha, Fond du Lac, Walworth, Ozaukee, and Washington counties. Anyone can apply for these assistance programs. Lobby services are open from Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM.  Closed on weekends and holidays.

For all case questions or to apply over the phone, customers can contact: Moraine Lakes Consortium at 1-888-446-1239; TTY: 711; Fax: 1-855-293-1822

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

PHE is ending May 11, 2023.  Click on the Unwinding toolkit link below to learn more.  If you have specific questions about your benefits, please call Moraine Lakes Consortium at 1-888-446-1239.

"Unwinding" Toolkit for BadgerCare Plus and Wisconsin Medicaid Programs. CLICK HERE to learn more.
If you have any questions how "unwinding" will affect your benefits or would like to apply for benefits, please call Moraine Lakes Consortium Call Center at 1-888-446-1239. 

February 2023 is the last month for extra FoodShare Benefits!
During the COVID-19 pandemic, a federal program let us give members extra benefits in addition to their regular amount. Now, due to recent changes to federal law, the extra amounts are ending. February 2023 is the last scheduled month members will get extra benefits. Qualifying families will continue to get their regular FoodShare amounts. Members can visit our Food Support Resources page to learn about food support other than FoodShare. 

Resource Flyers

Searching for local food pantries click on the 211 logo:     

Search for Food Assistance Anywhere, click on the logo:  

General Guidelines

  • Anyone can apply for these assistance programs. To watch an informative video, Guide to Applying for Wisconsin health, nutrition, childcare & other programs, click here.
  • You can apply online at ACCESS.wi.gov 
  • You can call Moraine Lakes Consortium at 1-888-446-1239 and speak to one of our call center agents.
  • You can request a paper application to be mail to you.
  • You can visit the local Health and Human Services Center and a worker will help you.
  • Permanent foodshare cards will be mailed out by QUEST. If a FS card is lost, stolen or damaged, a replacement card can be requested by calling QUEST at 1-877-415-5164.
  • Homeless mail can be picked up in Economic Support Services, located on the lower level of HHS.
  • Documents and verifications related to financial assistance can be dropped off at the drop box located near the HHS main entrance doors.  Documents and verifications can also be dropped off at Economic Support Services, located on the lower level of the HHS building.
  • Customers can download the MyAccess smartphone app (available in both Android and Apple app stores). This app allows for direct upload of documentation via phone camera as an alternative to submitting documentation in person. To learn more: CLICK HERE

To learn more about each topic, please click on the weblink.
Federal Government Ends Extra FoodShare Benefits for Wisconsin Households in February 2023: CLICK HERE
Alternative food resources or pantries can be found at:
or https://211wisconsin.communityos.org/

FoodShare Wisconsin Information: CLICK HERE
FoodShare: Wisconsin QUEST Card: CLICK HERE
FoodShare: QUEST Card Fact Sheet: CLICK HERE
FoodShare: Learn more about your QUEST Card Video: CLICK HERE
 Site Logo - Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP): CLICK HERE to learn more. 
USDA Nondiscrimination Statement: CLICK HERE
Fraud Reporting Website: CLICK HERE
Report Public Assistance FraudCLICK HERE

Phone: 888-446-1239
Hours of Operations
Monday: 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Tuesday: 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Wednesday: 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Thursday: 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Friday: 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Saturday: CLOSED
Sunday: CLOSED

MyACCESS Mobile App 

If you would like to check the status of your benefits, get reminders about actions you need to take, and submit and track documents, you can try the simple and convenient MyACCESS mobile appDownload the app for free on the App Store or Google Play Store.

Transportation for Medicaid and BadgerCare Plus MembersPublic Transportation Information for Waukesha County:
Waukesha Metro Transit Services (public transportation)

Need a Ride? Non-Emergency Medical Transportation 
You can get free rides if you are enrolled in one of the following programs:

  • BadgerCare Plus
  • Wisconsin Medicaid (including IRIS)
  • Family Planning Only Services
  • Express Enrollment for BadgerCare Plus
  • Tuberculosis-Related Services Only Benefit

New Financial Assistance available for energy bill and rental assistance due to COVID-19
The State of Wisconsin has recently made more funding available for energy bill assistance as well as rental/security deposit assistance.
  • Call 1-800-506-5596 to apply for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program or visit www.esiwi.com
  • For Waukesha County Emergency Rental Assistance Program call 414-270-4646.  Online application for Rent Assistance, click on this weblink: https://webportalapp.com/sp/login/communityadvocates-applicationWaukesha County residents who have questions regarding the application process can call or email at renthelp@communityadvocates.net.  
  • Hard copy applications can also be picked up and dropped off at Community Advocates, 728 N. James Lovell Street Monday-Friday between 9AM-5PM. Hard copy applications will be entered into the application software (Zengine) for processing within 24 hours of receipt.

For rent assistance, please visit Community Advocates