Waukesha County

Civil Commitments

All Civil Commitments are handled in the Juvenile Court and are filed at the reception desk at 521 Riverview Avenue. There are three types of civil commitments under Chapter 51 of the Wisconsin Statutes  : mental, alcohol, and drug. Civil commitment cases are prosecuted by attorneys of the Waukesha County Corporation Counsel's Office. A person who is involuntarily hospitalized will be appointed counsel through the Wisconsin Public Defender's Office. A commitment is always time-limited. A third-party petition may also be filed with the court and is coordinated through Corporation Counsel's office.

The Waukesha County Mental Health Center is another valuable resource for commitment matters.