Waukesha County

Foreign Re-adoption Guide

Foreign re-adoption applies to Wisconsin Statute 48.97(2)  "If the adoption of a child who was born in a foreign jurisdiction and who was not a citizen of the United States at the time of birth was finalized under the laws of the jurisdiction from which the child was adopted and if the child was admitted to the United States with an IR-3 or IH-3 visa issued by the U.S. citizenship and immigration services."  


  • Petition for Adoption (petitioner(s) to sign before a Notary Public) - #JC-1650
  • Original foreign documents with English translations, if available (or certified copies)*
  • Order for Hearing and Investigation - #JC-1651
  • Report of Adoption (SIGNED BY ADOPTING PARTIES) - #F-05022F.  This form can be found here.
    (Fill in everything except part VIII.  Use black pen, and be sure to complete the form in its entirety.  Include a check made out to State of Wis. Vital Records based on what you choose in part IX.) 
  • Order for Adoption - #JC-1647

These forms can be found here.

Foreign re-adoptions do not require a hearing.

After the re-adoption has been granted, you will receive a certified copy of the "Order for Adoption" signed by the Judge and the original "Report of Adoption" signed and sealed by clerk of court staff.

To obtain the child's new "Certification of Birth Facts" (birth certificate), send the original signed, sealed "Report of Adoption" (form F-05022F) and the supporting documents described in "Part V" of the form to the address shown in "Part IX" of the form.  If you have any questions about the "Report of Adoption" form, call 608-267-7166.