Waukesha County

  • Rent County Cropland

    County cropland parcels are rented through multi-year contracts so not all parcels are available every year. Public notices will be posted on this website and in the Waukesha Freeman 2 weeks prior to bid opening, usually in October. Producers renting County Cropland are required to follow the Waukesha County Cropland Conservation Standards below. Once a parcel is open for bid, complete the online bid and follow the directions for submittal.

    Cropland Available for Bidding:
    (will be farmed the following year)

    Fox River Greenway Hayland, Vernon Twp Sec 25

    Fox River  Greenway, Vernon Twp Sec 25

    Fox Bend Park - Vernon Sec 22,27
    Ashippun River Park - Ocon Sec 9,16
  • Farmland Preservation Program

    Wisconsin Working Lands Initiative was passed as a part of the state’s 2009-2011 biennial budget process. Main components include: the expansion and modernization of the state’s existing Farmland Preservation Program, the establishment of Agricultural Enterprise Areas, and a state program to help with the purchase of Agricultural Conservation Easements.

    The Wisconsin Working Lands Initiative provides landowners with an opportunity to claim Farmland Preservation Tax Credits through participation in the program. These tax credits are income tax credits that are applied against tax liability. Farmland Preservation is eligible in the Towns of Eagle, Oconomowoc and Ottawa. (See maps) Farmland Preservation Agreements are only eligible in the Ashippun/Oconomowoc Agricultural Enterprise Area.

    Under the Working Lands Program, farmers who claim a farmland preservation tax credit must comply with state soil and water conservation standards.

    More information can be found at the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) website or contact Waukesha County Land Resources at (262) 896-8306.

    The Waukesha County Farmland Preservation Plan Update: 2011 was certified by DATCP in August 2011.

  • Agriculture Performance Standards

    In an effort to protect Wisconsin's lakes, streams and groundwater, regulations to control polluted runoff from agricultural and urban lands became effective October 1, 2002. These rules put in place runoff pollution performance standards and prohibitions for farms.

    The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) identified the agricultural performance standards and prohibitions in Subchapter II of Chapter NR151, Wisconsin Administrative Code. These standards are intended to protect water quality by minimizing the amount of soil erosion, nutrients from manure and croplands, and other non-point pollutants that enter Wisconsin's waterways.

    At the same time as the agricultural performance standards were being adopted, the Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) promulgated ATCP 50, Wisconsin Administrative Code . This rule identifies the conservation practices to be followed in order to meet the DNR performance standards. The rule also identifies the requirements for nutrient management plans.

    For more information, please view Wisconsin's Runoff Info.

  • Animal Waste Storage

    Agricultural performance standards and manure management prohibitions require that all manure storage structures are designed and installed according to accepted technical standards.  The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) maintains the practice standards and specifications used in Wisconsin, in Section IV of the Electronic Field Office Technical Guide (eFOTG).  

    Please contact the Waukesha County Land Resources Division at (262) 896 – 8300 for more information and assistance.   You may also contact NRCS at (262) 878 – 1243 ext. 108 for technical assistance and for the availability of financial assistance through federal programs.  Private engineering consultants may also have technical expertise regarding storage structures and other conservation practices for landowners.

    For more information on the performance standards, click on the Agriculture Performance Standards tab above.  Also, in townships under Waukesha County Stormwater jurisdiction, land disturbance of 3,000 square feet or greater, or, excavation or filling of 400 cubic yards or greater requires a Stormwater/Erosion Control Plan permit from the Land Resources Division. 

Connect with us! Facebook Linkedin Twitter YouTube Connect with us on Nextdoor