Waukesha County


Are you a Waukesha County Resident getting married in the State of Wisconsin and want more information on the application process? 

Please click here for a link on our website.

Information for Marriage Applicants and Officiants? 

Click here for information from the Wisconsin Department of Health's information.

Looking to get married in the Courthouse?

Please click the link to see the list of Judges or Court Commissioners that perform ceremonies in and outside of the Courthouse. 
Judges & Court Commissioners 

Already married and need your marriage certificate?

Please contact the Register of Deeds or State Vital Records. If you want to request one from Waukesha County, click the link below on how to obtain your certified copy. Waukesha County Certified Marriage Certificate

Changing your name after Marriage?   

Contact Social Security Administration to change your name:

It is important to note that simply getting married or picking up your marriage certificate will not legally change your name, you must contact the Social Security Administration to complete the process.  After receiving your Certified Marriage Certificate you should contact the Social Security Office in person or through the mail or email.  There is a local Social Security office nearby in the City of Waukesha:

            Social Security Office
            707 N. Grand Avenue, First Floor      
            Waukesha WI 53186

Or you can visit the website at www.socialsecurity.gov or call 1-800-772-1213

Visit the DMV to change your name on your driver’s license or State ID:

Take your certified marriage certificate to the DMV to change your name on your driver’s license or state ID.  You must have changed your name with the Social Security Administration before attempting to change your name at the DMV. 

Change your name on your Passport, if necessary:

Visit the U.S. Department of State’s Passport website for complete information: www.travel.state.gov . You will need to submit a certified marriage certificate for any name change.

Change your name with everyone else:

Change your name with everyone else – employer, bank, credit cards, utilities, etc.  Some changes may be accomplished with a phone call, others may ask that you present a Certified Marriage Certificate. 

Connect with us! Facebook Linkedin Twitter YouTube Connect with us on Nextdoor