Waukesha County

***Please note***  A complete application packet shall be submitted no later than 7 business days prior to the deadline to publish the notice for the public hearing.  Please contact the Planner of the Day to determine your submittal deadline.

Any person owning property in the Towns of Oconomowoc or Ottawa; or the shoreland /floodland areas (generally 1,000 feet of a lake or 300 feet of a stream) in the Towns of Brookfield, Delafield, Eagle, Genesee, Lisbon, Merton and Mukwonago may need approval of a Zoning Map Amendment, or Zoning Change (Rezone) prior to developing the property, commencing a land division, or conducting certain uses or projects on the property. The County reviews other zoning change requests that do not require application with the County, but those situations will not be discussed herein. Please contact the Planning and Zoning Division if you have a question of whether or not you need to apply for a Zoning Change. If you have a question of whether or not your property is within the County's zoning jurisdiction, please contact us with your tax key number and we will assist you.

Zoning Change Application Procedure:

All requests for a Zoning Change must consist of a complete application form, three copies of a plat of survey and the required fee. After the fact requests (when a use is occurring or a land division or development has occurred without the required zoning change in effect) will be charged double the required permit fee. Additional supporting materials may be required for certain projects (Development Plan, Site Plan, Soil Borings, etc.). Zoning Change requests may also need to demonstrate that approval from the Environmental Health Division (EHD) of the Department of Parks and Land Use (unless the site is served with municipal sewer) can be secured. If the Town and County Boards approve the Zoning Change request, the County will officially amend the zoning map and you may proceed with your proposal upon satisfaction of any conditions of approval. Shoreland/floodland/wetland Zoning Change request may require approval from the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (WDNR), Federal Emergency Management Association (FEMA), and the Army Corps of Engineers. The County Public Works Department may also require an Access Permit. Site Plan and Plan of Operation approval, a Conditional Use Permit, and an Amendment to the Comprehensive Development Plan for Waukesha County may also be required. The Comprehensive Development Plan Amendment would take place prior to the Zoning Change, and would likely require both Town and County approval. The entire Zoning Change process can take a minimum of twelve (12) weeks.

Note: The information contained herein is for informational purposes only. In the event you have any questions regarding the Zoning Change application process, or specific ordinance requirements, please do not hesitate to contact our office.

Mailing Address:  515 W. Moreland Blvd. Room AC 230, Waukesha, WI 53188
Reception Desk:  Room AC260
Phone: (262) 548-7790 
For general information, please contact the Planner of the Day 

Office Location Map