Waukesha County

General Office Q&A

- What are the Register of Deeds office hours?

The Register of Deeds office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm excluding holidays. (Please note: Vital Records applications cannot be processed after 4:00pm.)


- How do I contact the Register of Deeds?

Main Phone: (262) 548-7583


Vital Records (Birth, Marriage, Death, Divorce Certificates, REAL-ID documentation)

Email: [email protected]

Phone: (262) 548-7863


Land Records (Viewing and purchasing copies of land documents including deeds, mortgages, surveys, etc.)

Email: [email protected]

Phone: (262) 548-7589


Recording (Submitting documents such as deeds, mortgages, plats, etc. to be recorded in our office)

Email: [email protected]

Phone: (262) 548-7585



- How do I obtain vital records (birth, marriage, divorce, and death certificates)?

Vital Records Application Instructions

  1. Fill out the application for the vital record(s) you are requesting completely and accurately.
  2. Applicant must provide photo identification (Driver’s License, State ID, etc.) either by photo copy or by e-mail to [email protected] .
  3. Provide payment by one of the following methods: check, money order, credit/debit card (if paying by credit/debit card, see authorization release form), or cash (in-person only).
  4. Send above listed materials to the Register of Deeds office using one of the following methods:

-           U.S. Mail to the following address:

Waukesha County Register of Deeds

515 W. Moreland Blvd. Rm AC110

Waukesha, WI 53188


-          Gray Drop Box located at the Register of Deeds office door.

-          In-Person either by appointment or walk-in during business hours. To schedule an appointment, please e-mail [email protected] or call 262-548-7863.



- How do I search and/or obtain copies of land records (deeds, mortgages, plats of survey, etc.)?

Documents are available online through our Public Access Document Search system. Documents are searchable from present back to 1994. Documents going back to 1915 ARE available, however, you will need specific document information (i.e. document number) to find them. This information can be found in our online tract indexes. Links to all are below.


Note: If you have a request that requires in-person assistance, you can contact Land records by phone or email to schedule an appointment, or walk-ins are accepted during business hours.



- How do I record a document with the Register of Deeds?


If you need to record a document, please mail it in with payment, or drop it in the gray drop-box located outside the Register of Deeds office door. This drop-box is large enough to accommodate plats and maps. With either option please be sure that your document and payment are submitted together and secured in an envelope.


Please provide correct payment. We accept check and money order only.


Please make checks out to:                          Waukesha County Register of Deeds

                                                                             515 W. Moreland Blvd. Rm. AC110

                                                                             Waukesha, WI 53188


$30.00 - Standard documents

$50.00 - Condominium, subdivision or cemetery plats

$25.00 - Transportation project plats

If there is a transfer fee due, include this in your check.


The original document(s) will be mailed back to the person listed in the “Name and Return To” box of the document approximately 1-2 weeks after being recorded.


Note: We do not offier in-person recording services. All documents can continue to be submitted by e-recording, mail, or drop-box. Our office will no longer supply blank paper forms. Forms are available to download on our webpage. Should you need assistance completing forms, or if you are unsure which form to use, please contact an attorney or title company for assistance.