Wild Winter Night Candlelight Hikes Return to Waukesha County Parks of February Evenings
Waukesha County Parks invites residents and visitors to come enjoy an evening trek in the parks this month at a Wild Winter Night Candlelight Hike. Join for one or more fun nights in February with your friends and family.
“Winter is an amazing time to explore our winding paths and quiet woods,” said Janet Barthel, Retzer Nature Center Supervisor. “The candlelit trails offer a unique view of nature at night and delicious treats around a fire will cure cabin fever for any age!”
This year, attendees will have three different locations and dates to choose from. All hike events take place between 6-8:30 p.m. and include a self-guided candlelight hike and warming bonfires. Food and warm beverages will also be available to purchase. The events are held regardless of weather. Attendees should dress accordingly. Full schedule follows:
- Outdoor Park Hikes: Enjoy the paved trails and frozen scenery of the parks! No registration necessary, park admission fee or annual sticker is required for entry. The Gift of Wings Grill will be selling hamburgers, hot dogs, brats, coffee, hot cocoa and snacks (while supplies last). Well-behaved dogs on a 6 ft. leash are welcome.
- Thursday, February 10, 2022 - Fox River Park, W264S4500 River Rd., Waukesha
- Thursday, February 24, 2022 - Fox Brook Park, 2925 N. Barker Rd., Brookfield
- Retzer Nature Center and Horwitz-DeRemer Planetarium Hike & More: Presented by the Friends of Retzer Nature Center & the Friends of the Horwitz-DeRemer Planetarium Celebrate winter with outdoor and indoor family fun at the Environmental Learning Center. Enjoy snow covered trails, kid’s activities, planetarium shows and guided hikes. Capacity is limited and registration is required by February 15. It is $5.00 per person, and free for ages 2 and under, Friends of Retzer Members and Friends of Horwitz-DeRemer Planetarium Members. Warm beverages and sweets will be available for purchase from Mama D’s Coffee in the Community Room. No dogs are allowed at the Nature Center.
- Thursday, February 17, 2022 - Retzer Nature Center, S14 W28167 Madison St., Waukesha
For more Wild Winter Night information or to register, visit www.waukeshacounty.gov/wildwinternight.