Waukesha County


It is against the law for this recipient of Federal financial assistance to discriminate on the following bases:

  • Against any individual in the United States, on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief; and
  • Against any beneficiary of programs financially assisted under Title I of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act of 2014 (WIOA), on the basis of the beneficiary’s citizenship/status as a lawfully admitted immigrant authorized to work in the United States, or his or her participation in any WIOA Title I-financially assisted program or activity.

The recipient must not discriminate in any of the following areas:

  • Deciding who will be admitted, or have access to any WIOA Title I-financially assisted program or activity; Providing opportunities in, or treating any person with regard to, such a program or activity; or
  • Making employment decisions in the administration of, or in connection with, such a program or activity.


If you think that you have been subjected to discrimination under a WIOA Title I financially assisted program or activity, you may file a complaint within 180 days from the date of the alleged violation with either:


Beth Norris
Equal Opportunity Officer and One-Stop Operator
Workforce Development Board
327 E Broadway
Waukesha, WI 53186

T: 262.695.7800
WI Relay 711


Susana Vazquez Garcia
Equal Opportunity Officer
WI Dept. of Workforce Development
201 East Washington Ave, Room E100, P.O.Box 7972
Madison, WI 53707-7972

T: 608.266.6889
F: 608.261.8506
TTY: 866.275.1165


Director, Civil Rights Center
ATT: Office of External Enforcement
U.S. Department of Labor
200 Constitution Avene SW, Room N-4123
Washington, D.C. 20210

F: 202.693.6505

If you file your complaint with the local recipient, you must wait either until the recipient issues a written Notice of Final Action, or until 90 days have passed (whichever is sooner), before filing with the Civil Rights Center (see address above).

If the recipient does not give you a written Notice of Final Action within 90 days of the day on which you filed your complaint, you do not have to wait for the recipient to issue that Notice before filing a complaint with CRC.

However, you must file your CRC complaint within 30 days of the 90-day deadline (in other words, within 120 days after the day on which you filed your complaint with the recipient).

If the recipient does give you a written Notice of Final Action on your complaint, but you are dissatisfied with the decision or resolution, you may file a complaint with CRC. You must file your CRC complaint within 30 days of the date on which you received the Notice of Final Action.

IMPORTANT! There are documents that contain important information about WIOA training services; how to apply for training services; and your rights, responsibilities and/or benefits. It is critical that you understand the information in these documents. You can receive telephone translation assistance of all documents by calling (262) 695-7800 at no cost to you.

¡IMPORTANTE! Hay documentos que contienen información importante acerca de los servicios de capacitación de WIOA, cómo solicitar servicios de capacitación, sus derechos, responsabilidades y / o beneficios. Es fundamental que entienda la información de estos documentos. Usted puede recibir asistencia de traducción telefónica de todos los documentos por calling (262) 695-7800 sin costo alguno para usted.

TSEEM CEEB! Muaj cov ntaub ntawv uas muaj cov ntaub ntawv tseem ceeb txog WIOA cov kev pabcuam kev cob qhia; yuav ua li cas thov rau kev pabcuam kev cob qhia; thiab koj cov cai, lub luag haujlwm thiab / lossis cov txiaj ntsig. Nws yog ib qho tseem ceeb uas koj nkag siab cov ntaub ntawv hauv cov ntaub ntawv no. Koj tuaj yeem tau txais kev pab txhais lus hauv xov tooj ntawm txhua cov ntaub ntawv los ntawm kev hu rau (262) 695-7800 yam tsis tau them nqi rau koj.

Waukesha-Ozaukee-Washington Workforce Development Board is an Equal Opportunity Program Provider.  If you have a disability and need information in an alternative format, including language assistance or translation, and/or need assistance with this information, please contact us at (262)695-7800 or call through Wisconsin Relay Service 711.