Waukesha County

Petitions are prepared by appointment only.
Please contact:
Kristin Wurtz (262) 548-7505 or Sandy Steinpas (262) 548-7432
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 - 4:30

If you have an emergency situation, please contact your local law enforcement agency (911) for assistance.

What is a Three Party Petition?

A Three-Party Petition is a legal document claiming that a person meets all three criteria for civil commitment (mentally ill or drug/alcohol dependent, treatable, and dangerous to themselves or others). The petition must be completed by three adults over the age of 18 and should describe the person’s mental health and/or substance dependency, as well as the dangerous behavior. The behavior must be recent (within the last 60-90 days) and at least one of the petitioners must have personally witnessed the behavior.  All three petitioners should be willing to testify in court if needed.  The subject must be physically located in Waukesha County.  The Waukesha County Office of Corporation Counsel will not cross county lines to detain the subject.

A Three-Party Petition IS NOT:

  • a quick process you can use in emergencies
  • a way to help someone with a permanent disability that is not treatable (such as dementia, Alzheimer’s, developmental disabilities, or traumatic brain injuries)
  • a way to help someone who is mentally ill but not dangerous
  • a guarantee that the person will be committed
  • something you can file anonymously

What constitutes Dangerous Behavior?

  1. Threats or attempts at suicide or serious bodily harm
  2. Homicidal or other violent behavior; or recent overt act, attempt, or threat at serious physical harm that places others in reasonable fear
  3. Impaired judgement, based on acts or omissions
  4. Due to mental illness, and based on acts or omissions, unable to satisfy nourishment, medical care, shelter, or safety

Alcohol Commitments-Chapter 51.45

Alcohol and drug dependence/abuse petitions must be screened and approved by the Waukesha County Health and Human Services Department, Outpatient Alcohol and Drug Addiction Unit. Please call (262) 548-7666 and ask to speak with a crisis clinician for pre-screening prior to calling this office.

Note: Statutes give us the discretion to determine if a petition will be filed. Making an appointment does not guarantee filing.

Connect with us! Facebook Linkedin Twitter YouTube Connect with us on Nextdoor