Waukesha County Airport/Crites Field hosts many events in the aviation community – fostering friendships between pilots and aviation enthusiasts, and, of course, providing opportunities to enjoy the magic of flight as much as possible.
Waukesha County Airport Honors Alfred Gorham
WAukesha County Airport, in collaboration with the City of Waukesha, Waukesha Public Library, Waukesha County Museum, the Downtown Waukesha Association and many generous sponsors will all assist in honoring Wisconsin's only Tuskegee Airman - Alfred Gorham.
Mr. Gorham is a Waukesha Native and will be inducted into the Wisconsin Aviation Hall of Fame in November 2019.
In honor of this great induction, to a man who quietly made history, the following events will be in his honor:
- August 14 (10am) Donuts & Documentaries at the Waukesha Public Library - featuring the PBS Documentary, The Tuskegee Airman.
- August 26 (6:30pm) Monday Night Movie at the Waukesha Public Library - featuring the movie Red Tails.
- The Commemorative Air Force's RISE ABOVE Red Tail Educational Exhibit will arrive and be on display at the Waukesha County Airport 10am-2pm
RISE ABOVE: Red Tail is the CAF Red Tail Squadron’s three-fold outreach program that brings the history and legacy of the Tuskegee Airmen to life in communities and classrooms everywhere. At airshows, community events or direct to schools and universities, this unique outreach program draws crowds and inspires people of all ages!
- The Commemorative Air Force's RISE ABOVE Red Tail Educational Exhibit will be on display at Friday Night Live in the Waukesha State Bank parking lot.
- The Commemorative Air Force's RISE ABOVE Red Tail Educational Exhibit will be on display on Saturday in Downtown Waukesha (location tbd)
- November 2 (3:30pm) Operation Honor at the Schutze Recreation Building - celebration for veterans to be recognized and for the public to thank them for their service.
- November 16 (5pm) Wisconsin Aviation Hall of Fame Induction at the Founder's Wing at EAA Museum in Oshkosh
Food Truck Friday 2019
Each Friday, Memorial Day Weekend thru Labor Day weekend, Waukesha County Airport hosts local food trucks on the east side of the Terminal Building, 2525 Aviation Drive. Food served 11am-1:30pm.
Waukesha Freeman Article on Food Truck Fridays: https://bit.ly/2Ef90w2
- May 24 - Truckmeister
- May 31 - Marco Pollo
- June 7 - Scrima's Pizza
- June 14 - Yellow Bellies
- June 21 - Marco Pollo
- June 28 - Gouda Girls
- July 5 - Truckmeister
- July 12 - Yellow Bellies
- July 19 - Gouda Girls
- July 26 - Lumpia City
- Aug 2 - Firewise BBQ
- Aug 9 - Little Havana
- Aug 16 - Lumpia
- Aug 23 - Scrima's Pizza
- Aug 30 - Yellow Bellies
Airplanes dating back to World War II and the Korean War filled the air over Waukesha and on the ground at the Waukesha County Airport.
The Gathering of Warbirds is a family-friendly event featuring historic and modern military aircraft, aircraft tours and rides, and education activities for all ages. It was aimed at anyone who enjoys seeing historic and modern military aircraft and fighter jets fly throughout the day.
WWII Aircraft Rides at the Waukesha County Airport
Buckle up for the experience of a lifetime! Experience what it feels like to fly in a historic WWII trainer! Buy a ride in the Commemorative Air Force Wisconsin Wing’s 1943 PT-26 Primary Trainer or 1943 SNJ-5 Advanced Trainer.
30-minute flight in our PT-26 is $150; SNJ-5 rides are $300.
Details on booking your ride time >> cafwi.org/rides
April 20, 10am
June 8, 10am
Young Eagle Rides hosted by EAA Chapter 18 at Waukesha County Airport
Young Eagle flights are open to youth ages 8 through 17.
A parent or legal guardian must sign a registration form for each child.
Registration forms will be available at all events.
There is no charge for Young Eagle flights!
The flights are on a first come first served basis and the events are weather dependent.
Nov 2, 10am