Waukesha County



MONDAY - FRIDAY 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM

We will have extended hours on Tuesday, October 22nd until 6:30 p.m. Those applying for marriage licenses that evening should arrive by 6:00 p.m.

No appointment is necessary. All applications are taken on a first come, first served basis.  All arrangements for the wedding including date, officiant, and venue must be set before applying for a marriage license. 


Marriage Application - How Do I Apply?


RESIDENTS OF THE STATE OF WISCONSIN:  If you are getting married in the state of Wisconsin, you must apply at the County Clerk's office in the county where either party has been a resident for at least 30 days. Once the marriage application is secured couples may be married in any county in Wisconsin. When marriages are to occur outside the state of Wisconsin applicants must comply with the requirements of that jurisdiction and State.

NON-RESIDENTS OF THE STATE OF WISCONSIN must apply before the County Clerk of the county in which they will be married.


Waukesha County Clerk's Office
Waukesha County Courthouse
515 W. Moreland Blvd, Rm 120
Waukesha WI  53188




A wedding date must be set prior to application. The marriage license application must be completed at least six days prior to the wedding date but not more than 36 days before the wedding date. The license is valid for 30 days upon the issuance date.  Application must be made between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, allowing 15 - 20 mintues for the application process.  The couple must apply together and in person. All arrangements for the wedding must be set PRIOR to applying for a marriage license. Licenses cannot leave the Clerk's office until the license becomes effective. The 6-day waiting period is required by law however a waiver of the waiting period may be granted by the County Clerk for an additional fee of $25 if there are extenuating circumstances. 
It is necessary for both parties to come in and fill out the marriage license application. You will need to provide proof of identification and residence. Standard proof of this is a driver's license, showing photo for identification and reflecting your CURRENT ADDRESS.  If a current address is not shown on the driver's license, applicants will need to present other documents to verify residency.  Other documents which may be used include two pieces mail, such as a utility bill and bank statement with current address and is at least 30 days old or a copy of mortgage or lease papers that verify your Waukesha County residency for the past 30 days.

A certified copy of a birth certificate is required for all applicants. The certified copy is that copy which has been obtained from the County or State level office where vital records are held and who are authorized to issue certified copies of such records. We CANNOT accept photocopies, certificates issued by hospitals, baptismal record, Birth Registration Notification forms, etc. Some birth certificates do not include the parents' full names. In those cases, applicants must be able to provide their parents' full names (full first, full middle and mother's maiden names).
Date and location of the ceremony as well as the name, address, and phone number of the officiant (the person performing the ceremony) must be provided.  

If there have been previous marriages for either of the parties, proof showing how and when the last marriage ended must be provided as described below:

  • Divorce:  There is a six-month waiting period after the divorce is granted. Thus, a person cannot be issued a marriage license if they have been divorced less than six months ago. For example, if a divorce was granted on June 1, the soonest the couple could be issued a marriage license and could be married would be Dec.1 of the same year. Judgment of Divorce papers are required. This is the document showing the names of the parties being granted the divorce, with the actual granting date clearly stated on it and a judge's signature (the official who granted the divorce) usually found on the last page. If there have been previous marriages for either of the parties, only proof showing how and when the last marriage ended must be presented
  • Annulment: Annulment papers must be presented. This would be annulment through the Court system, not through a church.
  • Death: A death certificate must be presented.
Under the Child Support Enforcement law, Social Security numbers of the bride and groom must be recorded in the confidential section of the application and marriage license. The couple may either state these numbers to us, or bring the Social Security cards with them at time of application.

Persons may marry without parental or guardian consent at 18 years of age. 

For applicants ages 16 or 17, parental or guardian consent is needed. Parent and Guardian Consent forms are available in the County Clerk's office and must be signed by both parents before the County Clerk, Deputy Clerk, or Notary Public.  Waivers will not be granted to anyone under the age of 18.  Applicants under the age of 16 cannot marry in the state of Wisconsin under any circumstances.


$110.00 paid at time of application. 
$25.00 Waiver fee, if applicable.  $5.00 Mailing fee, if applicable.
Cash, Credit or debit cards are accepted.


When someone is married outside of the United States it is their responsibility to obtain the proper legal paper(s) from that country.  It is important to obtain certified copies before you leave the foreign country and, if the certificate is in a foreign language, you should obtain notarized translations of the document.  The document will be your only proof of the marriage.  Wisconsin law does not provide for the filing of foreign marriage certificates. It is suggested that couples who desire to marry outside of the U.S. check with the Social Security Administration on the acceptability of specific marriage documents from their chosen country of marriage.


  • Blood relatives nearer of kin than second cousin, except when the bride is 55 years of age or older.
  • Persons under the age of 16.
  • Persons divorced less than six (6) months.


Below are informative links about getting a marriage license:

Who can perform a Marriage?

How do I obtain a Certified Copy of my Marriage Certificate after the wedding?

Frequently Asked Questions

Marriage and Officiant Information provided by DHS