What to bring:
(any documents not in English must be translated and certified)
* Proof of Identification - Both parties must bring some form of identification. The easiest way to prove your identification is with a valid Wisconsin Driver's license, ID, and Passport.
* Proof of Residency - At least one party must be a resident of Waukesha County for at least 30 days. The easiest way to prove residency is with a valid Wisconsin Driver's license with current address.
* Applicants that do not reside in Wisconsin must apply for their license in the county where the marriage will take place.
* Social Security Numbers - Both parties must provide their social security numbers in order to obtain a marriage license.
* Birth Certificates - All applicants must bring in a certified copy of their birth certificate from the Register of Deed's office in the county where they were born (which will have a raised or colored seal on it.) Photocopies or hospital certificates will not be accepted.
* Divorce Papers/or Certified Death Certificates - If one of the applicants has been married before, they must bring a file stamped copy of the Divorce Judgment, Annulment papers or certified death certificate from their last marriage. If the marriage ended in divorce, the divorce must be final for at least 6 months.
* Date of Ceremony - Wedding date must be set with your officiant, Judge or Court Commissioner before applying for your license.
* Officiant - You will need to know the name, address and telephone number of the person performing your wedding ceremony.
* A penalty of not less than $100 nor more than $1000 or imprisonment of not more than 1 year or both to any person who knowingly gives false information when applying for a marriage license.
How long will it take:
If you have all your paperwork required, the normal time will take about 15-20 minutes. Remember, the time may change with the number of other couples applying.
When should I apply:
Application should be at least 6 days before the wedding (due to the 5-day waiting period), but not more than 36 days.
$110.00 (Cash Only).