PRELIMINARY SITE EVALUATION (P.S.E.)
(applies to properties served by a private sewage system)
P.S.E Flow Chart
WHEN: A Preliminary Site Evaluation (P.S.E.) is required prior to the issuance of a zoning and/or building permit on properties served by a private sewage system. A P.S.E. is conducted when the following improvements are proposed: remodeling or a building addition, a change in use, or when an accessory structure is proposed.
WHY: A P.S.E. is required to assure the existing private sewage system is operating properly and that minimum setback distances are maintained from the improvement to the existing sewage system, pursuant to Chapter 145 – Wisconsin State Statutes, DCOMM83 - Wisconsin Administrative Code and Waukesha County Code – Chapter 14, Water and Water Quality, available online and in the office of the Waukesha County Clerk.
WHO: The Department of Parks and Land Use – Environmental Health Division performs the site evaluation. Following the evaluation, a letter recommending approval or denial of the improvement is sent to the owner, local building inspector and Waukesha County Department of Parks and Land Use – Planning and Zoning, if applicable.
HOW: Submit a complete application and fee to the Environmental Health Division.
A COMPLETED APPLICATION SHALL INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Preliminary Site Evaluation Application form
- Plans or sketch of the proposed improvement
- Soil Test Report for Category ‘C’ Type of improvements
- See Department of Parks and Land Use – Environmental Health Division Fee Schedule
- P.S.E. completed applications are reviewed by Environmental Health Division and normally acted on within ten (10) working days.
- Unless requested, P.S.E. Applications are not required for improvements that involve reroofing, painting, wiring, residing, window replacements or replacement of equipment or appliances.
- A P.S.E. is required for a Zoning Permit and/or a Building Permit.