Zoning Permit - Construction Activities

Updated: 4/7/2016 11:11:06 AM



WHEN: A zoning permit is required when a structure or part thereof is located, erected, moved, reconstructed, extended, enlarged, converted or structurally altered within the Towns of Ottawa, Genesee, Oconomowoc or Vernon; or the areas within 1,000 feet of the ordinary high water mark of a navigable lake, pond or flowage; or 300 feet of the ordinary high water mark of any river or stream; or to the landward side of the floodplain, whichever is greater, in any unincorporated area in Waukesha County.

WHY: To control placement of structures and land use in accordance with the regulations outlined in the Waukesha County Zoning Code and the Waukesha County Shoreland and Floodland Protection Ordinance – Appendix A and B of the Waukesha County Code, copies of which are available online and in the office of the Waukesha County Clerk.

WHO: The staff of the Waukesha County Department of Parks and Land Use – Planning and Zoning Division reviews the Zoning Permit, and if approved, mails the issued permit to the local Building Inspector. See Staff Who Can Help.

HOW: Applicant must submit a complete application packet and fee.


  • Application for Zoning Permit form.
  • A Sanitary Permit or a Preliminary Site Evaluation approval by the Waukesha County Department of Parks and Land Use – Environmental Health Division.
  • A scaled site plan (plat of survey preferred) indicating the location and dimensions of the lot, location and dimensions of all buildings and additions and those structures located within 50 feet of the lot line, location of the center line and grade of all abutting streets, floor elevation of structures, high water mark and/or conservancy boundary location whichever is more restrictive, location of existing and/or proposed wells and septic systems, and location of any soil borings.
  • Building plans (including floor plans), if applicable.
  • A “Preliminary Storm Water Review Letter” may be required from the Land Resources Division, in accordance with the Waukesha County Storm Water Management and Erosion Control Ordinance.
  • Cost estimate, if applicable.
  • Grading plan, if applicable.


  • See Department of Parks and Land Use – Planning and Zoning Division Fee Schedule 


  • An appeal of Zoning Administrators denial must be made within twenty (20) days of the staff’s decision to the Waukesha County Board of Adjustment.


  • An applicant can anticipate the zoning permit will be mailed to the building inspector within two (2) days of receipt of a complete application packet and fee by the Planning and Zoning Division and Environmental Health Division approval has been granted.


  • A Preliminary Site Evaluation approved by the Environmental Health Division is required if an addition or improvement is made on an already developed lot not served by municipal sewer. Contact the Environmental Health Division for assistance. See Staff Who Can Help.
  • A Sanitary Permit is required for new home construction or a vacant parcel of land unless the parcel of land is served by municipal sewer.
  • A Building Permit will be necessary from the local Building Inspector. Contact the local Building Inspector for assistance.
  • Upon issuance of a Zoning Permit, construction must commence within six (6) months and be completed within eighteen (18) months of the date of issuance.
  • A Storm Water Permit from the Department of Parks and Land Use – Land Resources Division may be necessary before initiating certain grading activities. For one and two family residences, the Town Building Inspector will require the use of erosion control methods. Contact the Land Resources Division or Town Building Inspector, as appropriate, for assistance. See Staff Who Can Help.
  • An inspection of the site may be required.

 Appendix B