Family Legal Clinic
Wednesdays, 3:00 p.m.-4:30 p.m. (Please be advised that Legal Clinic is not held every Wednesday, please call to inquire as to dates/availability)
Waukesha County Courthouse, Room C-153
515 W. Moreland Blvd. in Waukesha
WHAT IS IT:
20 minutes of free legal advice with a volunteer attorney.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE:
Individuals with a Waukesha County family case, do not have an attorney, have never utilized the Family Legal Clinic before, have family court related legal questions and are in need of assistance. Appointments are limited to 20 minutes.You are limited to 1 Legal Clinic Appointment.
Are you an attorney and want to volunteer? Click here for more information.
HOW TO GET AN APPOINTMENT:
To make an appointment you may either send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org call 262-548-7544 and leave a message. A staff person will assess the issue and get back to you as soon as we are able. In your message please provide the following:
1. Name and Phone number where you can be reached during the day:
2. Case Number(s):
3. Name of Other Party:
4. Name(s) of Children:
5. Do you have an attorney?
6. Have you previously used Waukesha County Legal Clinic?
7. Please explain why you want to see an attorney? What is it that you would like done?
Before Your Appointment
Appointments must be canceled or rescheduled by 12:00 p.m. on the date of your appointment by calling (262) 548-7544.
**If you do not call to cancel/reschedule your appointment in a timely manner you will be prohibited from registering again.
To Prepare for Legal Clinic:
- You will most likely have to wait as other litigants are scheduled at the same time you are. Please bring something to read or do.
- Print or purchase forms, organize your notes/documents. It is only a 20 minute consultation so BE ORGANIZED!
- Review our website: courtselfhelp.waukeshacounty.gov for free downloadable forms (forms can also be purchased in the Family Division).
- Bring a form of payment (cash/check/MasterCard/VISA) in the event you need to file documents and need to pay a filing fee after your consultation. We do have a copier onsite for use, it takes cash only and costs $0.25 per page.
Please note that our volunteer attorneys...
- ...can help with how to word particular answers but cannot complete the forms for you.
- ...can only consult with those wo do not already have an attorney.
- ...can only assist if questions are related to FAMILY cout matters (divorce, legal separation, annulment, child support, maintenance/spousal support, family support, custody, or placement issues, post-judgment issues, temporary restraining orders).
The attorney client privilege only applies to conversation you have with the attorney in private. It does not apply to Family Division customer staff or the attorney when others are in the room.
Check in at the front desk of the Family Division. The Customer Service Representative will have you read and sign a disclaimer form.
**This Program is Co-Sponsored by the State Bar of Wisconsin’s Volunteer Lawyer’s Project**