• Waukesha County

    Register of Deeds

    Department Head: James Behrend

    Phone: 262-548-7583

    Waukesha County Administration Center 
    515 W. Moreland Blvd. 
    Waukesha, WI 53188 
    Room AC110

    Office Hours M-F: 8:00AM-4:30PM
    Recording Hours: 8:00AM-4:00PM
    Vitals Applications Accepted: 8:00AM-4:15PM

    Documents may be purchased in our office, from our website or by written request: Email requests are not accepted.

    We are located in Room 110 of the Waukesha County Administration Building


    Copies of Recorded Documents: If you are looking for a recorded document, please review the options for obtaining document copies listed below. For documents recorded since 1994, you can visit our Public Access Document Search site. Instructions for using the site are available by clicking on the Public Access Guide PDF located under the More Information Tab on the right side of this page.

    Birth, Marriage or Death Certificates: If you need to obtain a copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate, please review the requirements at the bottom of this page and click on the appropriate Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate or Death Certificate blue button below to print a copy of the application.

  • JRB photo 2

    The Register of Deeds office is responsible for maintaining a depository for safekeeping and public inspection of legal documents pertaining to Real Estate, Vital Records, Military discharges, and official Maps.

    Recording a Document? 

    Our office will accept in-person documents for recording from 8:00 am - 4:00 pm Central Standard Time. Documents submitted by mail for recording will be recorded upon receipt. Please note that it takes between 14-21 business days for a document submitted by mail to be returned.

    Recording Fee Schedule:

    Deeds, Mortgages, Land Contracts, Satisfactions, Termination of Decedent's Property Interest, Transfer on Death to Beneficiary, etc.: $30 Flat Fee per document.

    UCC Filing Statements and Amendments: $30 Flat Fee per document.

    Federal Tax Liens: $30 Flat Fee per document.

    Cemetery, Condominium and Subdivision Plats: $50 per document.

    Transportation Project Plats: $25 per page.


    James Behrend, the Register of Deeds, is elected to a four year term and employs a staff of 17. The Register of Deeds Office provides a depository for safekeeping and public inspection of many legal documents pertaining to real estate and vital records.


    The Register of Deeds Office handles the recording and filing of deeds, mortgages, land contracts, articles of incorporation, real estate transactions, subdivision plats, certified survey maps, condominium declarations, etc. 

    How Do I Get a Copy of a Real Estate Document?

    We have three options available to obtain real estate document copies for property located in Waukesha County. Before choosing the option that works best for you, please review the following guidelines carefully:

    You must provide the specific recording data necessary to process your request (ie: Document Number, Volume/Page, Reel/Image). Requests for the most recent deed, or all liens on a property will not be fulfilled.

    We DO NOT perform title searches to find the recording data, that is your responsibility

    Refer to the fee schedule below to determine copy costs

    Option One – In Person Option Two – By Mail Option Three – Online
    Request copies in person at the Register of Deeds Real Estate Service Desk between 8 am and 4:30 pm Monday – Friday. Please arrive no later than 4 pm. Purchases may be made by cash or check only. Register of Deeds staff will not perform title searches or real estate research.

    Request copies by mail. You must provide the recording information (document number, volume/page, reel/image) along with the proper fee and a self-addressed stamped business size envelope. Please include a current phone number with your request in case we have questions. 

    Search, view and purchase copies of documents on our Public Access Website. There is no fee to search or view documents. A guide to help you search for documents is located on our website by clicking here. Our online database contains all maps and plats and documents recorded on or after January 1, 1994. You will need to use Internet Explorer to view documents online.

    NOTE: The Register of Deeds will not fulfill document copy requests made via e-mail or telephone.

    Fee Schedule for Real Estate Copies:

    Real Estate Documents:  $2.00 for the first page of each document, $1.00 for each additional page

    Certified copies are an additional $1.00 per copy

    The Register of Deeds Office is charged with the duty of being an unbiased, independent custodian of records relating to real estate. Assuch, the only area we can assist you in is general process questions. We cannot assist you in the drafting of documents. Although several legal documents have been developed into “fill-in-the-blank” style forms and appear to be very easily completed, it is the answers to those fill-in-the-blank questions that are critically important. Those answers can vary widely from person to person. Determining the correct answer for your situation constitutes “legal advice” and none of our staff is licensed to practice real estate law.  Even if we were, our role as custodian of the records would still prevent usfrom assisting in the creation of the records.

    The Register of Deeds office is not authorized to render opinions regarding the status of title.  Professional title examiners use the records in our office as well as searching records in other county offices to determine if the title is free and clear of encumbrances.

    Public Access Online Document Search 

    * For General questions, please try the Wisconsin Register of Deeds association at http://wrdaonline.org/

    * For questions or issues regarding Fee-based online document access, please email registerofdeeds@waukeshacounty.gov and include "Document Access" in the subject header.

    You must use Internet Explorer as your browser for Online document search:  Images may not be viewable with other browsers.

    • Please use the "Browser test " link on the left side of the Pay Per View page before purchasing documents to determine if your browser and Java versions are current.  This system requires Internet Explorer. Important:  You must save the document you purchased to your computer in order to have it for future use.  Do not attempt to print the document before saving it to your computer. Please read our Public  Access Guide for help using the public search function.

      Vital Records include birth, marriage, death and domestic partnership records. Please allow at least 2 full weeks after your marriage ceremony for your marriage certificate to be available for purchase. 

      Fee Schedule for Vital Records: 
      $20.00 for the first copy (of each record) 
      $3.00 for each additional copy

    There are 2 ways to obtain Vital Records:

    1. Visit our office located at: 515 W. Moreland Blvd., Waukesha. To expedite your order, you can print out and complete an application form (below) and bring it with you to our office. You will be required to provide current, valid identification before obtaining a vital record. In order to obtain a certified copy of a vital record, the applicant must be one of the following:
      • The person named on the record.
      • The parent of the person named on the record
      • The legal custodian or guardian of the person named in the record
      • A member of the immediate family (spouse, child, brother, sister or grandparent
      • An agent representing the person named in the record.

    2. Complete the application form (below) and mail it to our office with a copy of your current, valid ID and the appropriate fee.

    Acceptable forms of payment are Cash or Check made payable to "Register of Deeds." Any questions pertaining to a specific Birth, Death, Marriage or Declaration of Domestic Partnership record that is on file with our office, please call (262) 548-7583.

    To apply for a marriage license, please visit the website of the County Clerk's office

    Uniform Commercial Code
    Only UCC financing statements that affect real estate are filed in the Register of Deeds Office.

    Federal Tax Lien
    A federal tax lien notifies the public that a federal tax lien exists against the debtor named on the notice and establishes the federal government's priority with respect to a majority of competing creditors.

    Military Discharges
    The Waukesha County Register of Deeds office also records Military discharges. In order to get a copy of your discharge, first contact the Veterans Services Department at (262) 548-7732 to have your recording information sent to us.  Copies of Military Discharges are provided to veterans free of charge.