Vital records for Birth, Death, Marriage, and Divorce (2016-present) are available to order in person, by mail, drop box, or online through VitalChek (see instructions below).
STATEWIDE CERTIFICATE ISSUANCE
Any County Register of Deeds office in the State of Wisconsin can issue Certificates for ALL counties, no matter where the event occurred, if the event occurred within the following timeframe:
- Birth Certificates – from October 1, 1907 – Present
- Marriage Certificates – from October 1, 1907 - Present
- Death Certificates – from September 1, 2013 – Present (Prior to September 1, 2013, you will need to contact the County Register of Deeds office where the death occurred)
- Divorce Certificates – from January 1, 2016 – Present (Prior to January 1, 2016, contact the Clerk of Courts at 262-548-7544)
NOTE: If a birth, marriage, death, or divorce occurred in a different State you will need to contact that State to obtain your records.
RECORD FEES: $20.00 for the first copy + $3.00 for each additional copy.
How Do I Get Certified Copies of Vital Records?
To schedule an appointment, please call 262-548-7863 between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm Monday-Friday. In-office service is available by appointment from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm, Monday-Friday.
Our Location: 515 W Moreland Blvd, RM AC 110, Waukesha, WI 53188
*Applications cannot be processed after 4:00pm*
By Mail or Dropbox
- Complete the application for the vital record you are requesting completely and accurately. BE SURE TO SIGN AND DATE THE APPLICATION.
- Include a photocopy of a valid state issued photo ID (Driver’s License, State ID, Passport ), or you can send a picture of your ID to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Include payment by one of the following methods:
- Check or money order (made payable to the “Register of Deeds”)
- Credit/Debit authorization form found here
- Mail completed application, ID, payment, and a self-addressed stamped envelope to 515 W. Moreland Blvd RM AC110, Waukesha, WI 53188.
- In an envelope, drop off the completed application form, ID, and payment in the Gray Drop Box located outside of our office door OR outside of the employee entrance on the east side of the building.
- The drop box located on the east side of the building is only checked once every morning at 8:00 am.
- Applications left in the drop box outside of the office door must be received by 2:30 pm for same day pick up and pick up can be no later than 4:15 pm. If you arrive after 4:00 pm, please use the telephone outside of our office door to call in for your drop box pick-up.
- Please indicate on the application form if you would like the certificate mailed to you or if you would like us to call when your certificate is ready to be picked up. Certificates will be mailed the following business day if no pickup arrangements have been made.
OFFICE DOOR DROP BOX
EAST SIDE DROP BOX
You can also use our online ordering system through VitalChek.
Please be aware that this is a third-party provider and there are additional fees for using this service.
Genealogy research may be done by appointment only. Scheduling information and the rules for vital records research can be found here
The earliest registration dates for vital records are:
- Birth: 1860
- Death: 1872
- Marriage: 1842