Waukesha County


  • About

    DMV REAL ID Information: Click Here
    Disclaimer: We are not affiliated with the Department of Motor Vehicles and are unable to assist you with questions not related to Birth, Death, Marriage, or Divorce records.

    Vital Records include birth, marriage, death, divorce, and domestic partnership records for events that took place in Waukesha County.

    As of January 3, 2017, we are able to issue vital records from all Wisconsin counties for the following:

    Birth Certificates - from 10/1/1907 to present
    Death Certificates - from 9/1/2013 to present
    Marriage Certificates - from 6/2/2015 to present
    Divorce Certificates - from 1/1/2016 to present (Divorce applications for divorces occurring prior to 1/1/2016 must be requested from the Wisconsin State Vital Records Office in Madison)
    Tribal Marriage or Divorce - 1/1/2016 to present

    If your vital record event occurred prior to the above statewide issuance dates, you will need to purchase the record in the county where the event took place. For example, for marriages that took place before 6/2/2015, you will need to go to the county where the marriage/wedding physically took place.

    If your vital record event happened in a county other than Waukesha and does not fall under the above dates, please contact the occurrence county or the Wisconsin State Vital Records office at (608)-266-1371

    ***FOR IN-PERSON APPLICANTS: Please note that it may take 20-30 minutes to process your application. Applications are not processed after 4:00pm Monday-Friday***

    Recently Married? 
    You will need to purchase a marriage certificate in order to change your name with the social security office and the DMV. The marriage certificate application link is below. The marriage certificate does not change your name - you must go to the social security office and DMV to complete your name change. Please allow at least 2 full weeks after your marriage ceremony for your marriage certificate to be available for purchase.

  • How to obtain Vital Records

    There are 2 ways to obtain Vital Records:

    1.  Visit our office

    To expedite your order, you can print out and complete an application form (below) and bring it with you to our office. You will be required to provide current, valid identification before obtaining a vital record. We accept credit, debit, checks, and cash as payment options. In order to obtain a certified copy of a vital record, the applicant must be one of the following:

    The person named on the record.
    The parent of the person named on the record
    The legal custodian or guardian of the person named in the record
    A member of the immediate family (spouse, child, brother, sister or grandparent)
    An agent representing the person named in the record.

    2.  Complete the application form (below) and mail it to our office with a copy of your current, valid ID and the appropriate fee.

    Acceptable forms of payment are Cash, Checks made payable to "Register of Deeds", Credit, and Debit cards. Any questions pertaining to a specific Birth, Death, Marriage or Declaration of Domestic Partnership record that is on file with our office, please call (262) 548-7583.

    To apply for a marriage license, please visit the website of the County Clerk's office

    Uniform Commercial Code 
    Only UCC financing statements that affect real estate are filed in the Register of Deeds Office.

    Military Discharges 
    The Waukesha County Register of Deeds office also records Military discharges. In order to get a copy of your discharge, first contact the Veterans Services Department at (262) 548-7732 to have your recording information sent to us. Copies of Military Discharges are provided to veterans free of charge.

  • Vital Records Fee Schedule

    $20.00 for the first copy (of each record)
    +$3.00 for each additional copy

  • Blank Applications

    Birth_Icon Death_Icon Marriage_Icon Divorce_Icon 

  • FAQ

    How do I go about receiving a certified copy of a birth, death, marriage, or divorce certificate?
    You can find the applications and detailed instructions on our website at https://www.waukeshacounty.gov/ROD/. Either you can come into our office, or you can submit the request by mail. We will need to see a valid Driver’s License or ID with your request.

    Our office is located at 515 W. Moreland Blvd Rm. AC-110, Waukesha, WI 53188.

    What kind of Identification do I have to bring?
    An applicant’s original ID is required for all in-person applications. A photocopy of the applicant’s ID is required for all mail applications. Expired cards or documents will not be accepted.

    Examples of acceptable form of ID include:
    One of these:
    • State issued driver’s license or ID card
    • US Government issued photo ID
    • US or Foreign Passport
    • Tribal or Military ID card


    Two of these:
    • Bank/ Earnings Statement
    • Current, dated, signed lease
    • Health Insurance card
    • Utility bill or traffic ticket
    • Vehicle Registration/Title

    My birth, death, divorce, marriage, or domestic partnership took place in a county other than waukesha. Can you issue my records?
    We can issue statewide records in the following situations. If your event took place outside of these dates, you will need to acquire your record from the county in which the event took place. Vital Record Event Issuance Date

    Birth Certificates - 10/1/1907 - Present
    Death Certificates - 9/1/2013 – Present
    Marriage Certificates - 6/21/2015 – Present
    Divorce Certificates* - 1/1/2016 – Present
    Tribal Marriage or Divorce - 1/1/2016 - Present

    *Applications for divorces occurring prior to 1/1/2016 must be requested from the State Vital Records office in Madison.

    I need a certified copy immediately, but live out of state. How can I expedite my request?
    The most efficient and cost-effective way to get your records in a short amount of time is to purchase an overnight mail envelope (FedEx, UPS, etc.) and mail it to us including your application, payment, a copy of your photo ID, and a prepaid overnight envelope with your address. In this way, we can place your records in the included overnight envelope so they can get to you quicker.

    Who can obtain certified copies of my records?
    Yourself, your parent(s), your legal custodian/guardian, a memeber of your immediate family (sibling, child, spouse, grandparent), or an agent representing the person named on the record.

    Will my vital records certificate be certified?
    If you are eligible to request the individual’s certified copy, yes. All records come on certified paper with seals in the bottom corners.

    Is this where I apply for my marriage license?
    No, you will apply for your marriage license at the County Clerk's office in the county where you live.

    I just got married, why doesn't the marriage certificate have my new name? How do I change my name?
    The marriage certificate will always retain your name at the time you were married. Not everybody chooses to change his or her name.

    Once you have gotten married and your marriage license has been sent to the Register of Deeds office, please allow two weeks to process. You will then need to come into our office to purchase copies of your marriage certificate. Then you will go to the Social Security office and then the DMV to change your name.

    how many copies of my marriage certificate should I purchase?
    We suggest that you purchase 3-4 copies of your marriage certificate. However, this ultimately depends on your situation. You will first go to the Social Security office and then the DMV to change your name. You will need a certificate to change your name on your passport, any state licenses, insurance policies, and military paperwork.

    How long will it take for me to get my requested vital records?
    If you’re coming into our office, please be prepared to wait at least twenty minutes. All records are issued out of the state system, which typically takes time. If you are mailing in your request, allow at least two weeks to receive your vital records.

    How many copies of my birth certificate will I need to get my Passport?
    It is possible that the Passport agency will not return  your birth certificate. For this reason, we recommend getting more than one birth certificate.

    What is the difference between a death certificate with the extended fact of death verses the fact of death?
    Extended fact of death includes the decedent’s cause of death, while the fact of death does not. The extended fact of death might be necessary for legal purposes or life insurance policies, while the fact of death has limited to use depending on your situation—it’s best to see what’s required before purchasing your records.

    Can I get a copy of my divorce decree here?
    No. The divorce decree would be a record from the courts with the results of the divorce case. We can only issue a copy of the divorce certificate, but only if the divorce occurred from 1/1/2016 to the present. If your divorce occurred before that time, you will need to contact the State Vitals Office in Madison.

If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact Vital Records here: Vital Records (vitalrecords@waukeshacounty.gov)