Waukesha County

COVID-19 Vaccine: Learn more at www.waukeshacounty.gov/vaccine

National Wedding Planning Day Reminders for Engaged Couples in Waukesha County

On March 1, National Wedding Planning Day, the Waukesha County Clerk encourages couples to be prepared to apply for a marriage license before their ceremony. New Act 84 legislation, which takes effect July 1, 2022, will streamline some parts of the process mid-summer.


“It’s important for couples to remember they need to apply for their marriage license before their ceremony,” said Waukesha County Clerk Meg Wartman. “Be sure to visit your County Clerk’s website before your appointment to make sure you have all the necessary documentation.”


Contact your County Clerk’s Office to set up a time to schedule an appointment to apply for a marriage license. Couples will need to have documentation, fees, and ceremony details in place before they can apply for their marriage license. You can find the “I Do” checklist at Waukesha County - Marriage License. Spanish speaking services are available.


When Act 84 takes effect on July 1, some marriage licensing procedures will be streamlined.

  • Marriage licenses will be able to be obtained from the clerk of any county in Wisconsin
  • The licenses will authorize the performance of a marriage ceremony in any Wisconsin county.
  • The waiting period between a marriage license application and issuance will decrease from 5 days to 3 days
  • The 30-day period for which a license authorizes a marriage ceremony will extend to 60 days.
  • Clerks will have discretion to determine whether a document is not obtainable
  • In lieu of a birth record, a clerk must consider a passport, license or identification complying with the federal Real ID Act of 2005, permanent resident card, or naturalization paper as potential substitutes
  • Only one, rather than two, competent adult witnesses will be able to solemnize a marriage if one of the parties is serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces or in forces incorporated in the U.S. Armed Forces, in a reserve unit of the U.S. Armed Forces, or in the National Guard.
  • Documents to be returned to the register of deeds of any county in Wisconsin.


For more information, visit: https://www.waukeshacounty.gov/county-clerk/marriage-license/.