• When buying paint: estimate correctly how much you need when you buy it. Average coverage rate is 400 to 450 sq ft per gallon.
For leftover paint:
• Use it all up. Apply a second coat or paint your closets or cabinets. Try to donate it to someone who may use it: friends, neighbors, churches, high schools, theater groups, recreation departments or community service organizations.
• Dry out the paint. Use “waste paint hardener” (available at most hardware stores) or add some cat litter to the paint to speed up the drying process. Once dry you can put out at the curb with your other trash, but leave the top off so your hauler knows it's hardened and acceptable.
Jensen Environmental Management on College Ct in Muskego (between Tess Corners Dr and Sunnyslope Rd) will accept latex paint for a fee from any Waukesha County resident. (The paint is recycled at another location.)
• Hours for latex paint drop-off for Waukesha County residents are M-F 9-5 (call for current times)
• Fee is approximately $.25 per LB (about $1.75 for a full gallon can of paint). Fees may change so call first. Fee applies for ALL days and times and for ALL County residents!
• You must call 30 min ahead of time for weigh scale availability (414-422-9169).
Latex paint is water soluble and not considered a hazardous material; therefore, it is not accepted at the county's hazardous waste collection sites.
Business Hours: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm Monday - Friday (excluding holidays)
515 W. Moreland Blvd., Waukesha, WI 53188
Room AC 260 - (262) 896-8300