Kids ages 8-12 are invited to enjoy hands-on activities exploring the park's natural areas, the creatures that live within them, and learn how we can help them thrive. Children will end their day of discovery with a planetarium show. The program will take place rain or shine - activities will be moved indoors if needed.
- 8:00 am: Check in
- 8:15 am: Tour of Interactive Recycling Exhibit Learn about the 3 Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Discover ways to do each of these at home, school, or in your community through an interactive recycling exhibit tour!
- 9:15 am: Animal Adaptation Enjoy a visit from the Retzer teaching animals! See how an animal’s physical and behavioral traits can help it to survive as we explore the concepts of habitat and adaptation.
- 10:15 am: Snack (provided by staff)
- 10:30 am: Dragonflies, Damselflies, and Scuds – Oh My! We will meander down to Retzer Creek and take a look to see what creatures call the creek home.
- 11:30am: Hike to Fen and Picnic Lunch (Bring your own lunch – must be provided by parent/guardian)
- 1:00 pm: Planetarium show – “Sun Struck” Travel back to the beginning of time and experience the birth of the sun. Discover how it came to support life, threatens life as we know it, and how its energy will one day fade away.
- 2:00 pm: Renewable Energy and Solar Ovens Discover the advantages of renewable energy including solar, wind, water and geothermal. Build a solar oven to harness the sun’s energy to toast a s’more!
- 3:00 pm: Insect Investigation Explore the insect world using sweep nets, guide books, and hand lenses. We will investigate insects’ many adaptations that help support their survival, growth, and behavior.
- 4:00pm: Pick Up (front of main entrance to Learning Center)
Participants provide their own lunch. Minimum of 10, maximum of 25.