• Back to Types of Permits

  • Any person owning property in the Towns of Oconomowoc or Ottawa; or the shoreland/floodland areas (generally 1,000 feet of a lake or 300 feet of a stream) in the Towns of Brookfield, Delafield, Eagle, Genesee, Lisbon, Merton, Mukwonago, Vernon or Waukesha may need to apply for, and receive, a Variance/Special Exception from the Waukesha County Board of Adjustment in the event when, after submitting a proposal, the ordinance requirements cannot be met and the staff denies the proposal. If you have a question as to whether or not your property is within the County's zoning jurisdiction, please contact us with your tax key number and we will assist you.

    A Variance/Special Exception maybe required when a proposal does not meet the following requirements:

    Road setback; offset; shoreland, floodplain, conservancy setback; floor area ratio; open space; "50% rule" minimum floor area, height; excessive tree cutting; lot size; lot width; signage and parking requirements; etc.

    It should be noted this list may not be an inclusive list. Please contact the Planning and Zoning Division if you have a question as to whether or not your proposal requires a Variance/Special Exception.

    A Request for Reconsideration of a Decision of the Waukesha County Board of Adjustment must be filed in the office of the Board of Adjustment no later than thirty (30) days from the date of the filing of the Board's decision.  Please contact the Planning and Zoning Division for more information regarding the reconsideration process.