Waukesha County


1. What is the process for applying for a Declaration of Domestic Partnership?

  • Partners who meet the criteria apply for a declaration of domestic partnership with the County Clerk in the county where they reside. They must provide necessary documentary proof and information 
  • Five days after the application is completed, the County Clerk issues the declaration to the couple.
  • The couple completes the declaration, signing it in the County Clerk’s office or before a Notary, and submits the declaration to the Register of Deeds. The domestic partnership is not effective until the declaration is filed at the Register of Deeds Office.

2. Who may apply for domestic partnership? Applicants must meet the following requirements:

  • Both parties must be at least 18 years of age and must be competent (to enter into a legal contract such as a domestic partnership).
  • Neither party may be married.
  • Neither party can be currently in a legal domestic partnership with another party.
  • The parties must share a common residence
  • The parties must be of the same sex
  • The parties cannot be closer in relationship than second cousins (even if they are related by adoption or by half-blood).

3. Where do you apply for domestic partnership?

  • Applicants must apply in person at the County Clerk’s office in the county in which they have resided for the last 30 days immediately prior to application.

4. What paperwork is involved?

  • Applicants must show proof of identity, residency, and eligibility to register for domestic partnership
  • Partners will complete an application form at the County Clerk’s office
  • When the County Clerk issues the declaration of domestic partnership the partners sign the declaration in the presence of the County Clerk or Deputy County Clerk or another notary public.
  • The partners then file the completed declaration with the Register of Deeds in the county that issued the declaration. The domestic partnership does not go into effect until the date the declaration is accepted and filed at the Register of Deeds Office.
  • The partners can purchase certified copies of the declaration at the Register of Deeds Office to use as proof of the domestic partnership.sdf

5. What is the cost?

  • $105 application fee and $.50 for notarization. Cash Only

6. What documents are needed to apply for the declaration of domestic partnership ? Each applicant must bring in the following documents:

  • Certified copy of birth certificates.
  • Current (non-expired) Photo Identification.
  • Proof of residency. If the photo ID does not contain the current address, the applicant may bring in a dated utility bill or government correspondence if it is addressed each applicant with the applicant’s street address (mail sent to a post office box doesn’t fulfill this requirement).
  • Proof of how last domestic partnership or marriage ended. If an applicant was in a prior legal domestic partnership in Wisconsin or if an applicant was previously married, the applicant must supply documentary evidence of how the last legal domestic partnership or marriage ended
  • Proof of their social security numbers with a social security card. If you can not find your Social Security Card, a Military ID, Student ID, Health insurance card, Payroll Stub or W2 can be used if they show your name and full social security number.